Junior UI/UX Designer
Virtual Peaker is looking for a Junior UI/UX Designer that will help solve the climate crisis by supporting our mission of building the utility of the future. The intermittent nature of wind and solar energy make it much harder for electric utilities to keep the grid in balance. Renewable energy is going to save humanity, and Virtual Peaker is part of the solution.
If you are a human-centric designer, passionate about product design & development, data driven, execution oriented and motivated by solving one of the biggest and most critical challenges of our time, then we say bring it on. Help us transform a 100 year old industry with great digital products.
We are currently looking for an experienced designer to help power the next stage of our products’ growth. In this role, you’ll work with product management, engineering, and other stakeholders to shape how the product evolves to meet the needs of our customers and their end users.
What Is The Role:
You will be a designer and a key member of the new product development team at Virtual Peaker, working closely with product management, developers, and other cross functional team members to define, design, prototype, and refine concepts into rich and interactive user experiences, for all Virtual Peaker products and services.
Who You Are:
You have a stunning visual and user interface design sense, paired with a mature understanding for user-centered design principles. You are a pixel counter with relentless attention to details, consistency, typography, and color use. Along with an eye for aesthetics, you are also able to understand and reduce complex multi-faceted problems and translate them into clean, focused, understandable solutions. You enjoy leading and participating in the entire product development process from research, prototyping, design, iterative revision, and refinement.
Obsession with user needs…
Your product design process is deeply rooted in user-centric design principles with empathy for user needs and creatively solving problems to improve the user’s experience.
Your product designs are driven by business objectives plus data analytics, paired with insights extracted from user observation and understanding.
Collaborative self starter…
You’re a self-starter capable of working independently and performing multiple tasks under minimal supervision. Enthusiasm for an iterative design process and comfortable with critique from colleagues and stakeholders.
Enjoy enthusiastically participating in creative brainstorms with a cross-functional product team, with an ability to articulate design ideas, concepts, and decisions to developers, executives, and customers alike, through excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Define, design, and apply interface and interaction principles and frameworks
- Generate UI concepts through rapid sketches and lead group brainstorms and design reviews
- Generate low and high fidelity visual prototypes to demonstrate UI solution concepts
- Work closely with Marketing and brand teams to define consistent iconography, brand, and design language across products and marketing material
- Creating experience prototypes and user scenarios that demonstrate great brand experience. Use appropriate skills (sketching, prototyping, and specification) to define and communicate interaction concepts
- Design and create information architecture, application flows, and application screen wireframes
- Rapid paper prototype generation to demonstrate user and application flows
- Participate in product feature and capability ideation and definition process with Product & Technology Management
- Present design work to cross-functional teams and leadership for review and feedback
- Stay up to date with industry changes and the competitive landscape
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Arts, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Media Arts or similar Portfolio
- A professional digital portfolio showcasing a strong aesthetic and visual sensitivity through:
- past user experience and visual design work for both desktop and touch interface devices
- 1+ years of work experience crafting user interface design in web, mobile-web, iOS, and Android apps
- Ability to communicate design concept ideas through sketches, wireframes, and paper prototypes
- Fluent in Figma
Nice to Haves:
- Interest, experience, and passion for clean energy, renewables, smart home technologies, and smart grid systems
- Experience in designing iOS/Android app experiences from start to finish as a visual and UI designer
What You Can Expect
- Full remote position, with remote-work stipend
- Competitive salary, equity
- A collaborative workplace, which will challenge you and celebrate your work
- Full benefits medical, dental, vision, 401K
- Generous vacation time, sick leave, and holidays
- A diverse and inclusive community for everyone
Virtual Peaker is currently a small team tackling huge problems, and that means that everyone, from the interns on up, is critically important to our mission. If you want to be a small player on a huge team thinking about micro-optimizations, this role is definitely not for you. If you want to take responsibility for changing the outcome of human civilization, we want to hear from you.